Background

Monday, January 21, 2013

Meal Planning

So a while back I got ambitious and decided to out the meals Brad and I would be having for the following several weeks. Yes, several weeks. This was in mid to late November and I ended up planning through January. Needless to say we swayed from the plan quite a bit, but last week we started back up.

What I love about meal planning is that it takes the thought process out of dinner on a day to day basis. Sure you've got to take that one day to sit and plan, but it is so worth it. Especially when you come home after a long day at work and just have to whip out a sheet of paper and voila! You know what you're having and you have what you need to make it, all you've got to do is cook.

So I pulled out a small binder and some colored card stock. Then I went through my loose recipes and started pulling a bunch. These are recipes I tore out of magazines and stuff so they were just loose in a folder, easy to yank out and stick in a binder. I put seven recipes in the binder, then card stock, then seven recipes, then card stock, etc... The day I'm heading to the grocery store, I go through the recipes, pull one or two if I know we'll be eating out, then make my shopping list.

It has been working wonderfully the past week and I just shopped for this week's items today. I need to come up with a system for when I run out of magazine recipes and need to get some from my cook books, can't exactly rip those out!

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I wish I could be that organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't know where I found the motivation to do that and I'm not sure I ever will again, but wow does it make things easy! Maybe that will be motivation.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is great. We just ate pretty much the same stuff, week in week out, with a little bit mixed here and there. I could never have always been making different recipes. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually do the same and stick to what we are good at, and some of the recipes are repeats that we like, so while it is challenging to sometimes make something brand new (and screw it up) it stirs things up a little, keeps the menu fresh, and it's a bit adventurous.

      That was one long run-on sentence! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...