Background

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pondering: Devastation or Displacement

This week's Pondering With a Purpose is about devastation or displacement.  Brenda asks us to think back to a time, if any, where we may have experienced devastation or displacement similar to what is happening in the northeast because of Hurricane Sandy.  Click the button below to hop over to Brenda's and write along.

Think on Thursday

I haven't experienced anything near as horrible as what they are experiencing right now in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and other places... but I have experienced some devastation and displacement.

The only hurricane I really remember experiencing was Hurricane Bob in the early 90s.  I lived on Long Island and there were a lot of trees down.  I remember the neighborhood coming together to help with the clean up.  I slept through most of the storm and our house had a basement so we made it through all right.  There was also Hurricane Gloria in the 80s that apparently was worse, but I don't remember it.

The next instance of devastation I dealt with was when the house that my apartment was attached to (it was a garage apartment) caught fire.  Fortunately no one was injured and my apartment sustained only water damage from the relief efforts of the fire department.  I lost quite a bit of things because they either stunk of smoke or ended up mildewed.  I didn't have renter's insurance, so I stayed with friends before ultimately moving to South Carolina to live with my parents. 

As I was packing my things from the apartment and moving them to storage, September 11th happened.  It was devastating and horrifying.  I feel like everything stood still in New York for days afterwards.

Interestingly enough, there were just two hurricanes in my twenty years in New York, and since I've been in South Carolina, an area that is supposed to be a little more susceptible to these kinds of things there hasn't been any.  Well, they've grazed us and we've had a couple of tropical storms with little to no damage, but in my ten years here in South Carolina the northeast has seen two devastating hurricanes, and those have both been in the past year or so.  

My sister Tracy lost power in Virginia from the storm.  Kerry evacuated her apartment in Long Island City to her house in Connecticut.  They had minor damage in Connecticut but the East River overflowed into the streets around their apartment in Queens.  My sister Christine evacuated her Hoboken apartment to her house in upstate New York where she lost power.  The Hudson River flooded into Hoboken as well. 

It's crazy to see the pictures of New York and New Jersey, where I just was a week before the storm hit.  In fact, while at Kerry's apartment in Long Island City I took a picture of the Freedom Tower to send to Brad.  To the left of the Freedom Tower was the highrise building in Manhattan where the news kept showing images of the broken crane.  It's very faint, but if you look real close, you can see the crane over the tall building on the left.


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back!
    I think it is ironic that the devestation hit right after you left.... I am glad your family escaped fairly unscathed..... water damage is not fun...but it is just 'things'
    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I was back and then I was gone again! I can't wait for this semester to be over.

      Delete
  2. It is unsettling how a place can be just fine at one moment, and life is going along ok, and then all hell breaks loose and people are left to try to deal with the devastation that follows. I'm glad you and your family are safe from the storm.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...