Background

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pondering With a Purpose: Hot

I am so behind but I am glad that I am actually in the right place at the right time and can post this Thursday hop on Thursday! So while I'm not catching up, I'm at least on time with one thing!!

This hop is the brainchild of Brenda Youngerman.  Each week she posts a topic or a question for us to take to our blogs and ponder.  This week the topic is "hot"... weather hot! Click the button below to play along.

Photobucket

Do I like hot weather? Not so much. 

When it's winter, yeah, I wish it was summer.  When it's summer I wish it was winter.  Isn't that just the way it goes?

When do I like it hot? When I'm in the pool.  When I'm laying on a towel or blanket or on a chair wanting to soak up some sun.  Those times, when I want it, it's all good.  But give me the heat when I have to pull weeds or do something physical outside and I will crawl into my AC vent to avoid the outdoors. 

Our AC went out some time in the past year.  It may have been spring or fall, I can't remember.  I know it wasn't summer because I would have moved out.  It was HOT.  We had the ceiling fans on and bought a stand up fan too. 

When I lived in New York we didn't have central air.  I know it wasn't nearly as hot in New York as it gets in South Carolina, but I just don't know how I lived.  I know that sounds crazy.  I know there are people here in South Carolina who do not have air conditioning.  I know I sound like a snob.  I can't help it.  It's like a whole different world here in terms of temperature.  We get the heat extreme, New York gets the cold extreme.  I couldn't live in New York without a heater just like I couldn't live in South Carolina without AC. 

With that being said, I am extremely thankful that I have the opportunity to have AC.  I know there are so many less fortunate than me and although I had my snobby little rant about needing AC, I understand there are people living in their cars or tents or without any shelter at all, and I feel awful for them.  If I could reach out and help every single one of them I would.  I absolutely would.  The organization I work for has some programs for homeless in Columbia, SC.  I was there one day and I was talking to this lady who was also from New York.  We talked for a good 30 minutes and when I mentioned being from the Charleston office she said that she always wanted to go there.  I almost took her home with me! I would have! I kept thinking, "you've got a spare room."  But I know that when it comes to work and volunteering, there is a line we can't cross.  Brenda, I know you can relate to this!

So no, I don't like my weather hot and I am thankful for the opportunity to control that.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Hm? Do I like it hot? Yes, I think what I don't like is the humidity. In the midwest we get some serious humidity out in Arizona it gets hot and some days it is pretty darn hot but at least you don't have that stifling humidity with it and it does cool down at night and in the morning,which makes it so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I dislike most about the heat here... the humidity. It makes my hair go poof and feels so so sticky!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...