Background

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Healthy Couponing?

I am off work today for the Feast of the Assumption.  Too bad I can't spend it relaxing! I have a water deliver, the bug guy, the cable guy, and the couch guy all coming this morning.  Watch them all show up at the same time.  Glad I know how to multi-task and point!
Image Credit

The shred is going well.  I have skipped a total of two days since I began it at the end of July.  Pretty darn good if you ask me.  I started level 2 last night and it is challenging!! It seems to work a set of my upper body muscles, mostly arms, that I have not really worked hard before.  A lot of it is done in the plank position (kind of like a taller push-up position) and I feel like I'm either going to topple over or break.  Fortunately I'm not terribly sore today, which either means I didn't do it right, I didn't do it hard enough, or my endurance is getting better.  I'm going to go with a combination of the three! :)  I sure did sweat so I know something was happening.  I am feeling a difference all over and I can't wait for the one month check!

I love to coupon.  I love to shop sales.  I love leaving the grocery store and having saved $25+ on things I actually need.  But how does one coupon when on a diet? I was going through my coupons this morning and throwing away the ones that were expired (and that I clipped pre-diet) and realized that soooo many of the coupons I had were for processed foods I'm avoiding now.  Even when I looked through the recent circulars, most of the coupons were for things in a box or a can.  I still eat some of that, but I'm not sure it's enough to get my major grocery store savings.

How do you shop healthy and still save?

10 comments:

  1. That's the food conundrum! Healthy food; fresh fruits and veggies;lean meat;low fat dairy is more expensive than junk. And there are more coupons for the junk! That's such a huge reason why the lower someone's income is the more likely they are to be overweight or have nutrition-related health problems.

    When we shop at Kroger with our customer card, they keep track of what we buy often and every couple of months I get a set of coupons that usually includes a free bag of salad, free bag of carrots and a dollar off tri-color peppers. It's a pack of I think 20 coupons, all good deals on stuff we use. Check to see if you have a grocery in your area that does that. It's great for customer loyalty with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I wish one of my grocery stores did that. Since our Target became a Super Target, they've been sending out some random produce coupons, but they seemed to have stopped.

      Delete
  2. It is hard to shop cheap for healthy foods. We did find chicken breasts one week for 99 cents a lb. and stocked up! Otherwise, I like to think that I'm eating less, even though it costs more, and it's better for me. It's a crapshoot, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when meat goes on sale like that. Unfortunately it doesn't happen enough!

      Delete
  3. I have never been a huge coupon user, so I am not sure about what others claim? In addition there was a time I had to take a calculator to the store with me to make sure I did not over spend, my son held the calculator, he was so little. I use to shop several stores to get the in store best price, sometimes I went to three different stores. This is going to sound very mean, but I am going to say it, I think some people like to use the "we don't have a lot of money so we are forced to eat unhealthy" excuse. Listen, everything is about balance. We had no money and I mean, none, I would count change to treat us with Pizza on occasion, yet, I managed to feed my family a balanced meal, within our means, and none of us are overweight,wait, my husband could stand to lose about 15 pounds. Anyway,I learned to use,chicken, and take the skin off, now I buy chicken breasts,I buy Ground Chuck, a lot of it and fix it different ways,it is fairly cheap. Pork Chops,it is a white meat and not that expensive, if you can't always do chicken.We always had fish, once a week and I had to buy it frozen until I could afford,fresh. I chose Cod, now we have Fresh Cod. Baked Potatoes, well, are cheap, use them until you can afford something else. You can make, mashed potatoes and use chicken broth,and soy milk to help keep them lighter or measure them out for one serving. Mix the fruit up, with fresh and can,until you can afford,all fresh, it is better than a candy bar. Frozen,is better than nothing. You mix in the healthy with what you can but sometimes the excuses have to stop. Sorry if I have offended you but it seems that sometimes a good friend should be honest and not just a cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offense taken at all! I buy a lot of my meat and vegetables frozen because it's less expensive than buying fresh. I also have no problem with canned fruit, I love it actually! I just like to take advantage of deals and use coupons and am disappointed that there aren't more deals/coupons out there for those kinds of things. I can find an abundance of coupons for sugary cereals and cookies and cakes, but coupons for fruit and vegetables, or even meat, is few and far between. I definitely work within means and my budget when grocery shopping and without the coupons it takes a little more work, which is no big deal, I was just hoping there was a secret remedy out there no one told me about! :)

      Delete
    2. Glad I didn't offend you, I shopped around, for in store savings on those products, typically my stores were close by, so worth it for me to hop, and each store had a deal on meat or veggies/fruits. That is how I off set the high prices.

      Delete
    3. My stores are all on the same street, in like a mile or two stretch, so it is very easy to hit all four of them at once. And I have Walmart and Target right by my house as well, so there are tons of options for deals.

      Delete
  4. I have always been a huge saver and coupon shopper and I know what you mean about the coupons for junk.... BUT
    I have found that most of my produce now comes from the 99 cents store... that saves me a TON of money... and I use that new Just4U from vons... that saves a ton of money.... I don't really have much use for coupons anymore...

    Have a great weekend Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of your 99 cents store! Maybe I'll wake up early one Saturday and check out the farmer's market.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...