Background

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Winning by losing

I didn't start the 30 Day Shred yesterday as planned because I was glued to this book and before I knew it it was 11:00 and I could barely keep my eyes open! The last time I tried the 30 Day Shred I decided to buy Jillian Michael's book, Winning By Losing.  It has sat on my shelf ever since.  This time around, I decided to pick it up.  I need a change and I know it.  I need all the support and reinforcement I can get.  It's just a book, it can't hurt, so why not?

Jillian Michaels - Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life (Paperback)
Image Credit
The book is split into three sections, self, science, and sweat.  I began the book last night and have gotten through a good bit of the "self" section.  Jillian is smart.  She knows what she's talking about.  She gives you the tools you need to change your attitude about yourself and think positively about your body.  I didn't realize how bad my self-image is.  Don't get me wrong, I know I'm smart.  I've seen results in that department.  But when it comes to my body, I didn't think too nicely of myself.   After reading through this first section, I realize that I need to change that attitude if I plan on changing anything about myself.

Two lines from her book really stood out to me:

"There are no mistakes, just learning experiences." I've always thought of my mistakes as learning experiences.  I've made my share of them.  But I never thought that way in terms of my health and fitness.  Anytime I've started some kind of wellness routine, if I have a slip up I completely lose hope and feel like a total failure.  Often it leads me to quit whatever plan I am on.

"Every day truly is a new beginning."  This is so wise.  If you recognize that every day is a new beginning, those little slip ups won't mean all that much and won't thwart your entire plan.  You won't ever give up, you'll persevere.

I'm so glad I started reading that book last night because those things were exactly what I needed to hear.  I can't tell you how many times I've made fitness mistakes and let them completely take me over.  In fact, yesterday was no exception.  It's embarrassing to admit, but I made a mistake on the very first day of my fancy new plan! Brad went out fishing with the guys for the night and before he left he went to the store and came back with a "treat" for me, a Symphony Almond with Toffee Chips bar.  Probably one of my biggest weaknesses.  And I ate the whole thing.  The whole thing.  600 calories! I was disappointed in myself of course, especially after I had just downloaded the MyFitnessPal app (which I'll save for another post) and logged my foods for the day.  I had a little over 400 left for dinner and those 600 totally wrecked that.  Not to mention the fact that I didn't exercise.

Before I read this book I probably wouldn't have logged the chocolate bar, or if I was days into the plan I may have given up.  But I realize now that I have to own up to my mistakes and move forward.  I'm not going to say I won't eat an entire chocolate bar again, I just will not beat myself up about it. 

6 comments:

  1. Now I must read this book!
    http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very powerful book, I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I really believe in one day at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's so easy to beat yourself up. Sometimes it's harder to forgive yourself for the little slip ups. You can do it Jenn, and I am sure you will!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...