Background

Friday, July 20, 2012

Ode to Alex

On a typical Friday I'd be participating in a fun fill-in the blank Friday hop, but it's on hold this week due to the passing of a loved one - Alex, the beloved cat of Hilary and Marc of Feeling Beachie

For people who do not have pets, they don't quite understand the connection us people have to our fur-babies.  And people who aren't cat people really don't get the connection we have to our cats. 

My pets are my kids.  I'm sure I may feel a little differently once I have kids, but that's another story.  Right now my pets are my kids.  I love them to pieces, how can I not? They love me unconditionally and depend on me for everything.  They need me.

And I need them! When I'm having a bad day, I can always count on at least one of them for a snuggle.  They rarely talk back.  They are so fluffy and warm.  They can be so funny and so aggravating at the same time. 

I remember a time when Loco got out of the house.  She was gone a whole weekend.  She was about 12 at the time and I was just convinced that she was sick and ran away so she would pass on away from me.  People say that's what cats do.  I cried all weekend long.  Then one night I brought the dog outside to go to the bathroom and I heard a faint meow.  It was far away but I knew immediately it was her.  I ran inside to get Brad and we looked for her.  The goofy cat was three doors down, at a house that looked identical to ours, sitting on the front porch begging to be let in.  I couldn't believe it but I was so happy.

Alex was a sweet kitty.  He often wrote his own posts and was quite a handsome fur-man.  He will be missed and he will be remembered.

6 comments:

  1. jennifer this was very well said our pets are a huge part of pour lives and we need them as much as they need us :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a very special person to love a pet. :)

      Delete
  2. How sweet of you to write an ode to Alex, those of us with pets totally understand and those of us that follow Hilary definitely feel for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, thank you so much for such a beautiful Ode to Alex....You have no idea how much this touched me and helps us get through this difficult time....

    You are so right... there is nothing worse then having someone tell you "but he was only a cat/dog" that is so far from the truth. They are loved members of our family... I am lucky, I have only had that reaction from one person (a co worker). It is amazing how much animals touch our lives and how supportive the animal lovers are in a time of loss. I can't imagine how you felt when Loco ran off. Alex once ran out of the house for only a few minutes (I blogged about it once) and I thought Marc & I were going to die... Having a pet missing is so much worse than losing one to the bridge... Thanks again - big ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Alex touched so many of us.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...