Background

Saturday, July 28, 2012

30 Day Shred, Take 2

Jillian Michaels '30 Day Shred' DVD
Image Credit
A while ago, and I mean a long while ago, I tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  I had a love/hate relationship with it.  I thought the workout was great and the 3-2-1 approach made it perfectly balanced compared to some of the workout videos I have done in the past.  I also liked that there were tiers you could move up to at your own pace.  And you could feel the burn which is some reinforcement that it is working.  It wasn't difficult to do the moves either.  Jillian is a very motivational trainer.  Don't get me wrong, the attitude that made her a star on The Biggest Loser certainly shines through on this DVD, but it comes and goes at the right times.  Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to smack the TV, but I refrain.

Image Credit

Since I'm feeling optimistic today, I've decided I'm going to give this thing a shot again.  I have a lot of weight I'd like to lose.  Now I'm not going to get all specific here, but I will say that my first goal is 21 lbs.  I've checked my weight and taken my measurements.  Everything is logged in a nice little spreadsheet that will track my losses.  And there will be losses.  I'm that motivated today.  Tomorrow may be another story, but only time will tell.  I'll log my weight and measurements again on August 27th, after I have completed the 30 Day Shred.  I want to see if something really happens in 30 days.

Funny cats weight scale  cartoon from July 11, 2012
Image Credit

So, the 30 Day Shred is really only one part of this new journey.  Brad and I purchased a gym membership earlier this year and were pretty good about going the first two weeks.  That's about it.  So I'd like to incorporate the gym back into my routine as well.  I am going to wing it in the beginning so I can determine the best schedule for myself.  I don't want to say "go to the gym at 7:00 PM" if I don't know that 7:00 PM is going to work for me.  I don't want to lose my motivation by missing scheduled items or goals.  So I'll ease into it.

I also spent some time this morning looking through some of my healthy recipe books, yes I have them, and found a few that I can put together for this coming week.  So I made my shopping list and am planning to go to the grocery store tomorrow.  I actually really enjoy "good for you" foods so I'm looking forward to it.  Of course I enjoy junk food just the same, but at least it won't be like I'm eating cardboard.

Do you have any high hopes for fitness? Any fitness tips and tricks you'd like to share?

12 comments:

  1. Good luck on the Shred! I hear it is a great workout! I might get that for in the winter ( I tend to not go out in the cold if I do not have to...it's a struggle for me to get to the gym in the winter). You can get your goals. What has worked for me, is just one day at a time. I also have a cheat day or cheat meal once a week. Recently I have found a great new snack. It is the plain greek yogurt. Then you take a packet of the dry ranch dressing and mix however much you want into the yogurt. It is great for veggies, dipping pretzels, and triscuits. Yum! I like your blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to give that a try, sounds yummy! I love ranch and a healthy way to eat it would be pretty awesome.

      Delete
  2. I really love the 30DS. I didn't lose a whole lot of weight doing it BUT I did see a huge change in my body. As far as the gym goes, you need to find something you like. Me personally, I like taking the group classes. I couldn't just go on the floor an do the elliptical or the treadmill for an hour, I get bored, but that's me. My point is, try everything, see what you like and then make a schedule based around that. If you're one of those people than can hop on a machine or an hour or 2 I envy you, you can kind of go whenever while I'm a slave to the class schedule. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping for, is a change in my body rather than the weight. Don't get me wrong, I want to lose pounds too, but I'll take lost inches over pounds for sure!
      Thank you for the tips!! I do sometimes get bored on the machines after a while, I am definitely going to look into some classes.

      Delete
  3. Good Luck!!! I don't talk about my bad back a lot but I can't workout due to it, doctor orders, I am allowed to swim, and I do walk my dogs, that is it. As far as eating, well, I am careful but I don't deprive myself constantly or I will binge, so I take it one day at a time. I have learned to eat smaller portions of everything and I never and I mean never sit down with a bag of anything, I measure all my servings. Heck, even if I make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I measure the peanut butter and jelly, I make sure each are one serving! It makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smaller portions is a huge thing for me! And Brad! It's kind of interesting to see us sit down with a normal single serving, we're like, where's the rest? But it's filling and I don't feel like I need to sleep immediately after eating. The sitting down with a bag of something is also something we're guilty of. Times are changing in our house!! :)

      Delete
  4. good luck I am rooting for you all the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I need the cheerleaders!

      Delete
  5. Good luck on this. Let me know how it goes. I'm always looking for new ideas to see if I can do something to get rid of these last 10 stubborn pounds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely continue to post about it. I really do like the workout, it is a butt kicker for sure!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...