Background

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday Coffee Chat: Getting Fit

Good morning! Got my coffee still and I'm already eagerly awaiting my lunch hour when I can dive into the delicious leftovers from last night's dinner.  Mouthwatering portobello mushroom caps stuffed with brown rice, a blend of cheeses, and chicken sausage, topped with tomato basil sauce.  What? Oh this post is about getting FIT not getting FAT, sorry, my bad!

Fun fact: Mozilla Firefox does not recognize the spelling of "portobello."  So much so that the only word it associates it with is "potbelly."  I kid you not:


Kind of funny considering today's coffee chat topic.  You can't make this stuff up.


Click the button above to hop over to Time Out for Mom and participate!

So, it's interesting that today's coffee chat topic is about getting fit.  I think Leslie was a fly on the wall in my house last night.  Brad and I must have called each other "fat" at least a dozen times yesterday.  It's our playful yet interesting and probably way off-balance way of motivating each other to exercise and/or not eat junk.  A concise way of reminding each other that they're going to regret what they are about to do: make brownies, eat said brownies, sit on the couch and eat more brownies, etc.  We're really good about talking the talk, but we don't walk the walk.  We don't walk.  Period.

So what do I like to do to get fit? I'd like to do nothing and just have it happen because apparently I've entered an extremely lazy period in my life.  Seriously.  That's what happens when you spend your day on your butt behind a desk.  You'd think that wouldn't be draining, that you'd be ready to bounce off the walls when you got out of there, and I'm sure some people do, but me? Noooope.  I just want to sit back down in a more comfy spot.  This office chair is hard!

I used to be very active.  For four years I was a nanny.  When you're a nanny, you are basically paid to be active.  When I started there were 2 kids, when I finished there were 5 kids.  I spent four years on the go.  Running, crawling, walking, spinning... then I leave that job for a desk job and BOOM! That's seriously all it takes to pack on the pounds.  Not to mention I moved from a three story walk-up apartment into a house with no stairs, so there went my extra tiny bit of activity.  My dog has even gotten fat.

So back to what I like to do to get fit.  There are some work out videos that I like.

I like the Slim in 6 series, I was a sucker for the infomercial one night and fortunately I actually enjoyed the DVD, only I never stick with it long enough to get slim.

I also love Windsor Pilates.  I can't do it now because my gut gets in the way and it's uncomfortable.  Well, correction, I can do most of it and some of it is uncomfortable and I'm too lazy to be uncomfortable.

I really like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred video.  I have a love/hate relationship with her.  I know she's right, she's real smart, but I just want to smack the daylights out of her.  She is very motivational though and I've done her workout more steadily than any of the others.

I also like yoga but it's been a while since I've had a video I enjoy.

A while ago I bought Your Shape: Fitness Evolved for the Kinect on Xbox 360.  I think I used it once.  It is really neat though and maybe I'll break it out again.  The Kinect in general is a work out though.  Ever played it? Holy moly! A video game that makes you move, no wonder it's collecting dust... Seriously though, the sports game and the adventure games, they are pretty decent cardio, especially when you're sedentary.

Last, I have a gym membership.  We got it back in February and it's been a while since we've been there.  Honestly, all laziness kidding aside, it is hard to be out of the house from 8 in the morning until 6:30 in the evening and then go back out.  I come home and I want to spend time with my fur-babies and I feel horribly guilty leaving them after being gone for over 10 hours.  Those faces, those adorable faces! I'd feel less guilty if I went in the morning before work, but in order to do that I'd have to get up crazy early in order to get back home and shower before work.

I should have labeled this post: reasons I'm not fit...

Oh and I do like to take walks around the neighborhood! Or ride my bike.  We can take the dog for walks and I love the fresh air of a bike ride.

Ok, I think this whole whiny post has been a little shot of motivation for me to get off my butt and start doing something.  Thanks Les!

4 comments:

  1. I think we all go through lazy spells, especially when it comes to exercise. I hate that my metabolism isn't what it use to be. At 50, I expect things to be different. All I'm asking my body to do is burn these stubborn 10 pounds off and yet I struggle with it. Actually I go down a four or five pound to get it back. Blah! I suppose it'll be a battle until they plant me 6-feet under. lol But, no one will be able to call me quiter even till the very end. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems like it's the last 5-10 lbs! What if we fooled ourselves by making our goal 5-10 lbs less than it actually is, so then we achieve it? :)

      Delete
  2. OMG...okay I am also a bit of a foodie, so I really want your leftover dinner!! I think everyone should start off their daily blog posts describing their dinner...I'd be a happy reader!
    and yes, still a semi fat one - ha ha
    I used to waitress so much to get through school, and then once done school and got the desk job: no more hustle-bustle. But I didn't have a home, hubby and hords of kids to look after then, so I still managed to get to the gym at least 3 times a week and played in volleyball league 2 nights a week. That was enough back then.
    but times have certainly changed. Thanks for the Jillian Michaels recommendation - I'm going to check out that 30 day shred.
    thanks for sharing your thoughts and chatting!
    let's keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everyone started off their blog posts talking about food I'd be starving all the time! Definitely try the 30 Day Shred, it's actually pretty fun once you stop hating her!! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...