Background

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ten Years!

Wow, when I typed that out it seemed even more difficult to comprehend than simply thinking about it. 

Ten years. 

It feels like it was just yesterday.

Ten years ago today, I kissed my life as a New Yorker, a Long Islander, good-bye. 

Not a day goes by when I don't think about or miss something about New York.  Whether it's a person, a store, or some kind of staple food - I think about New York all the time. 

Growing up, heck, six months before I moved, I never thought I'd ever leave New York.  Ever.  It's like that when you live there.  You can't fathom living any place else.  Something has to happen to get you out, and even then it's a struggle.

For me, the "thing" that happened was losing my home to a fire.  I lived in an apartment that was a converted garage.  There were two families living in the house.  Someone in the family that lived downstairs didn't properly put out a cigarette and the house caught fire.  Fortunately no one was hurt.  I was in South Carolina visiting my parents (who moved here in 2000) when I got the call from my landlord. 

I ended up losing two of my cats.  They didn't die in the fire, thank God, but they ran away in the aftermath.  I like to think that an awesome family found Alexander and Metallicat and took them in.  Fortunately I didn't lose my Loco, she is still here with me.  None of my things had fire damage, but there was that horrid smoke smell and some water damage. 

After several months spent camping on my friends' couches, I went to visit my best friend upstate.  On the way back it kind of hit me like a Mack truck.  I had parents who were bugging me to come live with them.  They have a house with room for me, just go.  So I did.  I made the decision to move to South Carolina on the New York State Thruway. 

It was an easy decision, but it was the hardest thing I ever did.  I said good-bye to everything I ever knew and started over.  Leaving my friends and co-workers was painful.  Leaving all that was familiar to me was painful.  But the new beginning I got to have in South Carolina was fun.  It was an adventure.

It was the best decision I ever made because my life is 150 times better here in South Carolina than it was in New York.  And I'm not dissing New York, still love it.  Just dissing the life that I had there.  I was on the wrong path and who knew that the fix for that was down a different path, an 800+ mile path?

My parents were so excited when I called them and told them I was coming.  My dad flew up to New York and he and I, along with Loco and her litter box, drove my car down to South Carolina.

Original Map Courtesy of D-Maps


And the rest... well the rest is just another day in the life of me!

2 comments:

  1. WOW THAT IS AMAZING COURAGE GIRL, I HAVE WONDER AT DIFFICULT TIMES IN MY LIFE IF I COULD EVER JUST LEAVE CALIFORNIA?!? I AM NOT SURE SO I ADMIRE THOSE THAT TAKE THE LEAP & DO IT. MY MOVE UP HERE IN THE MOUNTAINS HAD ME LEAVING MY HOME I RAISED MY OLDER CHILDREN IN FOR 16 YEARS BUT WE ONLY MOVED AN HOUR AWAY, NOT MUCH BRAVERY THERE BUT YOU GIRL ARE BRAVE AND I AM THRILLED THAT YOU HAVE NO REGRETS :}

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...