Background

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Shot Tales: New York Rangers!

For those of you who follow hockey, you may think it's a little odd for me to do my post about the New York Rangers after they lost in the playoffs, it is, I wish I had planned it a little better, hindsight is 20/20 and all that...

So here it goes...



I went to 20+ games in the 1995-1996 season.  It was so much fun.  Possibly some of the best times I have ever had in my life.  They are memories I will hold with me forever.

One of my best friend's dad would get us tickets all the time.  I must have made my parents broke but they were fans too so I guess they were happy their little girl had an interest in the same things.  They even let me go on school nights!

I spent my 14th birthday at a Rangers game.  In fact, as a surprise my friend's dad got us some tickets behind the goal! It was so awesome.  We went to a game that year in Hartford.  We took the ferry across the Long Island Sound and went to the Civic Center.  We watched games against the Islanders at the Nassau Coliseum. 

The best games, of course, were the ones at the Garden.  Whether we drove all the way in or took the LIRR, the ride to the games was almost as fun as the games themselves.  We'd listen to TV's Greatest Hits and some other tunes to get us hyped up (as if us teenage girls needed something to hype us up!).  Once we got into the city, whether we were running through the streets or driving down them, we were whooping and hollering "let's go Rangers!" 

Jenn and Jen (she'll kill me if she sees this picture)

We were pretty tame for our first few games, but it didn't take long before we were yelling and screaming at fans of the opposing teams and running around the arena like lunatics.  We painted a banner to say "Let's Go Rangers" and ran with it around the middle level.  We painted our faces (sorry I can't find the picture of me with my face painted!) and were all decked out in our jerseys. 

I miss those days.  I love my life, don't get me wrong.  But I yearn for those days of absolute carefree bliss.  No boyfriends, no jobs, no bills... Granted we had school, but that was a walk in the park compared to all the things you have to contend with as an adult. 

I miss my friends too.  It was funny because the four of us who went to games together all the time were Jen, Jenn, Kelly, and Kelly.  Kelly 1 and Jen are still in New York, I'm here in South Carolina, and Kelly 2 passed away in a car accident several years ago. 

I hope to get back up to New York sometime soon and see a game while I'm there!

4 comments:

  1. Lol! My little sister's friend is a big fan of hockey. She and my little sister used to go to the games sometimes. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! What team did they root for?

      Delete
  2. Me being a huge football fan I totally get this even though it is hockey!! I have ALWAYS been told the best live professional sport to see live is hockey... my daughter went to a Shark's game (we are here in Cali) & because I got her the tickets they send me all these alerts and I have said & it is on the bucket list to go to a game!!! Now reading your post I am moving it on on the list. Thanks for sharing this post I love to see other women with the love of sports!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hockey is definitely an exciting sport to watch. I'd give it two games... if you're not into it after the first, you will be after the second!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...