Background

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pondering with a purpose: punishment

What do you do when someone you love does something wrong?

Click the button below to link up with Brenda in this weekly hop.

Think on Thursday

It depends on my mood honestly.  If I'm in a great mood I'm more inclined to let things slide, or if I'm in a rush simply because I don't have time to get angry about anything.  I have a horrible temper so generally when something occurs that requires a punishment I get angry.  You won't like me when I'm angry.  Ha, sorry. 

My first reaction is yelling at the offender.  Sometimes I throw things.  Not really a punishment, but since I do have an anger problem, it's pretty much the best I can do without hauling off and kicking some butt since I don't want to end up in jail and all... :)

When Daisy is bad, after I yell a bunch of stuff she doesn't understand, I tell her to go sit on her bed, which she generally does, all the while looking at me like, "what the heck mom?" But she has to do something really, really bad for me to send her to her bed.  She just has this face that it's so hard to punish.

When Brad is bad, he gets things taken away from him.  Once he drove me crazy by playing his Xbox for days straight so I took the game and hid it in my car for like a week.  All his friends were playing that game so no other game would do.  I've, um, also broken his controller.  That was a $50 mistake on my part since of course we had to replace it eventually and I had no one to blame for that one but myself.  He didn't break the controller, I did. 

When I was a nanny, the kids usually got punished by sitting in time out or having things/privileges taken away.  We don't have kids so I have no punishment experience with my own children, but I have the strangest feeling I'll be that mom telling her kid not to hit by popping him/her on the hand. 

6 comments:

  1. Having to pay to replace the thing I broke in anger has cured me of that habit also, man first you get pissed off then you have to fork out $$$ double suck!! My 1st marriage I was a hole in the wall puncher until it was time to move and he was gone * I was left to pay the repair bills. Or the worst is you hurt yourself breaking something!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was once a hole in the wall anger person too! Then I moved into my own place... I'm surprised my parents didn't give me up for adoption after the holes I used to put in their walls!! Monster child.

      Delete
  2. OHHHH... I've replaced many things broken in anger.... not so much as I've aged and wisened ... lol

    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the remote was a slap in the face for me. I am much more selective of the things I throw now. :)

      Delete
  3. I've got Irish blood....we blew, shake, have a beer. it's pretty simple and civilized all round I think.

    unfortunately, that method is generally frowned upon when dealing with your children. So time outs and loss priveleges it is. Although, I will confess....there might have been a day or two, or several when my kids thought the movie "Old Yeller"...was about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an Irish and Italian combo... I think that's bad mixing! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...