Background

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My First Tell Me Tuesday

I saw reference to this hop on a fellow bloggers page, so I thought I'd check it out.  Glad I did.

Click the button below to head over to The Coloradolady's blog and join in.


What is something you don't want to regret when you are older?

I don't want to regret not having a better relationship with my sisters when I get older.  We get along fine when we talk or when we're together, but that doesn't happen very often.  It wouldn't be an unusual event if I only talked to them on holidays, and by holidays I mean Christmas, Thanksgiving, and maybe Easter.  Oh and birthdays. 

They are 6, 8, and 9 years older than me so we grew up in different times - meaning when they were in high school I was in elementary school.  We were never in the same school together and we were never really experiencing the same thing at the same time.  Granted now we're all grown up and have our own lives and you'd think we'd all be on the same playing field, but we're not, not really.  I think those years of distance took their toll. 

I talk to my youngest-oldest sister the most, she was always the one I was closest with because we shared a room growing up, she was the last to leave for college, she's lived here in South Carolina, etc.  The other two still live in New York, which makes the communication even easier. 

I know we have phones, e-mail, and social media to keep in touch, but I guess we need some kind of ice breaker.  Something that will encourage future communications.  It's not like we don't have anything to say when we do call one another, but I'm sure if we talk on a day that is not a special event, the person on the receiving end of the phone call is going to be like, huh? Did that just happen? Did she just call me out of the blue?

It really is sort of shameful when I think about the relationship my husband has with his brothers.  It's an odd day for them if they don't talk to one another.  All four of them talk daily. I wish I could say the same.

I know what you're probably thinking... pick up the phone! I guess I'm just always hoping one of them will do it first. 

6 comments:

  1. I get this post of yours...I feel like with my family I am on the outside looking in always. I hope that you get the feed back from them & remember it takes two not just one person can make it happen so go easy on YOU!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to this! I have one brother, and we sometimes only talk or see each other at Christmas. We live less than thirty minutes away. I got a burr up my butt a few years ago and again recently when I discovered not a single relative calls me ever. I do all the calling and decided I'd stop and see how long it takes them to call. Well, this time it has been since January. Sure sorta leaves you with the impression that you are not the least bit important at all to them if you know what I mean.

    I know that is something I need to work on too, but I am sorta tired of felling unimportant, because that is the message all my family sends me. I certainly don't seem to be missed to say the least.

    I won't say pick up the phone, because I understand all too well!!

    Thanks for linking in today!! I loved reading your post. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am the "baby" of the family and often get treated that way, so I feel minimized. Very frustrating! I just want to be treated as an equal because we're all adults now. Surely we have something in common, regardless of our age gap.

      Delete
  3. My brother and I are 14 months apart and we talk about once a week. If we don't he calls me and complains! :) We were not on speaking terms for the 6 years he was married to wife #2. He changed greatly to be with her and even my nieces complained about how he'd changed. After they separated he returned to his old self, like overnight. Then our relationship began to repair.

    You have a head start in that there aren't bad feelings. Get a Skype account and send each of them an invitation. The first discussion can be the ice breaker talking about video chatting on the Internet and let it go from there; just like Christmas once a week! Worth a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really great idea! And you are right, there aren't any bad feelings, just a lack of communication really. Thanks for the tips and for comments.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...