Background

Monday, April 2, 2012

Losing is winning!

I decided to give Weight Watchers another shot this month.  

Four years ago I joined prior to my wedding to lose some stubborn weight, and I lost 12 lbs in a few months, fit beautifully into my dress and all that.  Then, naturally, I gained it (and more!) back.

So I know Weight Watchers is a proven method and I know if I stick to it, it will work again.

I've been at it for 3 weeks and I'm down 5 lbs! I'm pretty excited about that.  The average is 2 lbs a week after the first 2 weeks.  I think the first two weeks give you time to adjust to eating right.  


Tracking what I eat is hard.  I don't mind the actual entry into the tracker, it's just finding the time to do it.  I have the mobile apps, and that helps, but I don't have much time regardless.  

The good news is, I know when something is going to give me a ridiculous point value so I can steer clear of it.  I don't know everything, but I do know some.


And the other good news is, a lot of the foods I like have no point value, like fruits and veggies and Jello.  So I've been stocking up on those good-for-you-won't-deplete-my-points-in-one-bite snacks.  Oh, and NO fast food! Or soda.  I even started drinking my coffee black with no sugar because that has zero points.


I don't feel any different physically, there hasn't been any five pound less revelation, but I feel good mentally and that's what matters!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck.... losing weight is hard... it is so much more than a diet .. it is a life choice!
    Having the right mental attitude will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. It doesn't just involve counting or abstaining, there are so many psychological factors involved. The other day I was at a conference and I was fixing my plate from the buffet and there was sandwich bread and deli meat and I started to take the bread and I was like "no, just take the meat" and that was totally fine for me! I didn't feel like I was lacking at all. There is a lot of breaking habits and thinking outside the box involved and your head has got to be in that flex mode.

      Delete
  2. Good Luck. My mom did weight watchers and I have always kind of followed it, I like the fact that you use real food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also like the fact that you can eat anything, just in moderation. It really opens your eyes to how "big" some foods are, counting calories alone just doesn't capture the whole picture. Something with 200 calories could have 8 points which seems crazy but when you take everything into consideration it makes sense.

      Delete
  3. I'm doing WW too. My hardest challenge has been that I was doing really well and then gained 15 pounds when I started a new medication! (Yikes!) But I've been losing again and I'm down 8 of those 15 since I stopped the gain 6 weeks ago. (Whew!) It was discouraging, but I kept at my WW plan. I shudder to think what the medication would have been if I hadn’t! I love the fact that I can still have real chocolate, just instead of a whole candy bar (or 4-oz bar) I keep Hershey’s Miniatures and have learned to control how many! :) I’m a fruit and veggie nut, like you, so that part of things has been easy. I can’t do my coffee black, so it’s helped me cut down on caffeine too. lol

    If you have any recipe or snack ideas, please share! Best of luck and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how awesome!! Yay for a WW buddy!! I will definitely share recipe and snack ideas as I come up with them. So far my biggest thing has been the fruit and veggies, I love to snack on them. Oh and skipping the bread and condiments if possible. When I bought lunch meat last week I got seasoned meats (like honey glazed ham and jerk turkey breast) so that I would get a lot of flavor and not miss the mayo.
      That's awesome that you're losing some of what you gained from the medicine too! It is scary to think of where we'd be at in certain situations if we weren't following the plan.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...