Background

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Random green thought of the day...

So, I was outside with the dog looking at the Christmas tree that is laying in my backyard waiting to hit the curb.  I thought about how much fun Brad had using the last one as kindling and then my mind wandered towards the incinerator plants that are sometimes used to eliminate trash.  I know they are controversial, in fact one closed up around here some time ago.

It made me wonder... is there some kind of scientific process where the smoke/fumes/exhaust from burning trash can be filtered into something beneficial? I know that sounds real hopeful, but one can hope, right?

Personally, I think it would be great to be able to incinerate trash leaving nothing but ash rather than go the landfill/dump route because that reduces the waste to near nothingness.  But, I recognize what this would do to the air we breathe and what could settle into the ground and the potential damage to plant life, etc.  I understand that there are reasons people don't like this method and those are the same reasons I dislike this method.  That's why I'm wondering if there might be a way that the byproducts of this could be changed somehow.  

I haven't really researched this so I don't know what opportunities are out there, but I know I'm trying my hardest to reduce the waste output in my own household and for those things I can't control, I'd like to think there might be a better way to dispose of them.

Random thought over!

2 comments:

  1. That's a good thought, maybe they'll come up with something like that one day. I think they do with the water. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are all kinds of filters out there, there has got to be some method to do this!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...