Background

Sunday, November 27, 2011

College football rocks!

Some of you may beg to differ, and that's fine, to each their own.  I was there too.  When I first moved to South Carolina I didn't know what the big deal was with college football.  I didn't see it as a real sport or anything worth watching.  When my husband and I started dating, I'd end up sleeping on the couch while he and his brothers and dad would watch the Gamecocks play each Saturday, and occasionally Thursday nights.

Football never really was my thing anyway, so that didn't help.  I was an avid hockey fan (New York Rangers baby!) and I really didn't see past that.  Sure, I enjoyed a good playoff or championship game here and there, March Madness and the Final Four were entertaining if teams I like were in the running.  All I knew about football is that you run from one side of the field to the other.

I soon realized that I now live in a state that does not have a major league sports team.  And I live in a southern state.  Living in the south pretty much equals football fever around every corner.  With those things considered, the good people of South Carolina need some sports entertainment, so why not college sports? Ok, I was beginning to understand.

This past year, I sat down with Brad and had him "teach" me football.  It is something that is important to him and I figure if I could get the hang of it and at least learn to tolerate it, then I might not be a football widow every weekend.  He taught me everything but the penalties, I didn't want to know too much, I figured I'd learn that in time.

Well, I'm not sure if learning football was the best thing for me to do.  It is one thing to sit down and watch a game and be happy when the right team scored, and upset when the wrong team scored, it is a whole different thing to realize how close it all can get.  Talk about anxiety, adrenaline, anger, and other emotions.

This weekend was rivalry weekend.  Yesterday, the Michigan Wolverines played Ohio State and the South Carolina Gamecocks played Clemson.  And they won! Both my teams won!! I cheer for Michigan because my oldest sister went to school there, and I cheer for the Gamecocks because, well, they're the Gamecocks of course!


The games were fantastic.  I was thoroughly entertained.  They were the last games for those teams for the regular season and now we must await the announcements of who is playing in what bowl and hope to catch our teams at least one more time. 

2 comments:

  1. Lol! Maybe they might have to face each other. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you should say that because at one point (and I haven't checked in a while so it might still be) some predictions showed South Carolina playing Michigan in one of the bowl games! If that happened, I think for the sake of my marriage I'd root for the Gamecocks, but I'd be happy if either team won.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...