Background

Monday, November 28, 2011

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go... NOT!

The one thing I hate the most about traveling is having to pack.  It's such a process.  

First, you have to pick out which suitcase you want to bring.  

Wait, if you are flying you must first decide whether or not you want to check a bag, then you can pick out a suitcase.  And of course, depending on what airline you are flying, you may have to pay to check a bag and in that case you have to do some research with your airline.

Once you have all that nonsense figured out, you'll know how much space you have to work with, and then you can decide what clothes to bring.  

I always try to bring clothes I can mix and match.  That way I'm not wearing the same outfit twice, but I might be wearing the same pants or tops, as long as they are still clean.  It saves space.

Toiletries! 3-1-1.  Three ounce containers, one clear plastic bag, one per person.  Actually not as hard to do as I thought it would be, this is probably the easiest part of packing.

The personal item I can carry on-board the plane - when I went to Texas I brought a purse backpack with me.  That was my personal item.  I am thinking that for my New York trip, I might bring an actual backpack.  I feel like I need to bring more with me for some reason.  The purse backpack might work because it fits my wallet and my camera and a book (essentials) but I don't know, for some reason I just feel like I need more space.  Maybe that's because it will be both Brad and I this time.  But then again, he can have his own personal item, so why do I need more space?


Moving on to shoes... I like shoes! I hate having to travel with a limited variety of shoes.  It will be New York and it will be cold, so that will kind of limit my shoe selection so I guess that's a plus.  But still, packing closed-toed shoes is tough and will take up some of my valuable space, not to mention Brad's valuable space.  He's got big shoes, I hope he can limit his stuff.


The clothes I actually wear on the day of the trip are usually the larger, bulkier items I don't want taking up space in my suitcase.  For example: a sweatshirt or jacket, sneakers or boots (which don't work out too well when you are flying, I'd rather do flip flops because they're easier to take off at security), and jeans.  I'm advising Brad to do the same.


Aside from the packing woes, I am very excited for this trip.  I can't wait to go be a tourist in a city I've been to a hundred times before.  I can't wait to eat some good city food.  I can't wait to hear the sounds, smell the smells, and just absorb it all! 


Side note: Happy birthday to my brother-in-law Nick today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...