Background

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

List Challenge, # 11, Random Acts of Kindness

Having been on this Earth for almost thirty years, it's impossible for me to track every act of kindness, let alone every random act of kindness, so I am going to talk about one.

As I've mentioned before, I work for a non-profit religious organization that provides a variety of services to individuals in need.  I work in the main office which handles mostly administrative work, we provide referrals to our other offices for people who call in.  We're kind of the hub.  

Anyway, one day I received a call from a man who needed some transportation assistance.  He was stranded here, absolutely desperate, and wanted to go back home to his family.  I can't remember the exact circumstances of his being stranded, but he had no shelter so he was going to have to sleep on the street if he couldn't get a bus or train out of Charleston.  The man was also diabetic and had been without food.  The office I would have referred him to was closed that day, which is not a usual occurrence, so I needed to figure out what to do with this man.  I contacted a local parish and a religious brother was there and offered to pay for the man's bus/train ticket.  Amazing.  So I told the man that this brother was going to get him his ticket and gave him contact information, etc.  The man was so grateful.  I also went ahead and ordered the man a pizza to be delivered to the parking lot where he was stranded.  Yes, not the best food for a diabetic, but since I could not travel to him, but a pizza delivery man could, it was the best I could do.  I used my own money to buy him food and he never even asked for food.  It was just something I did, a random act of kindness.

List Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...