Background

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Beach Sand

I've been reading on Facebook about how some of Long Island's beaches have been destroyed from Irene.  That sucks.  There is really no better way to say it.  It sucks.  I grew up on the north shore of Long Island.  I practically lived on the beach.  I spent so much time there and there is probably nothing I miss more about living in New York than the beaches.  I loved the calmness of the Long Island Sound.  Camping, bonfires, fourth of July fireworks, sand dunes, picnics, sunbathing, swimming, climbing on the jetties... All things I miss immensely.

Before I left New York, I visited some of my favorite beaches.  From those beaches I took a little bit of sand.  Not a lot, just a tiny zip-lock bag full.  I had such fond memories of the beaches that I wanted to take a little bit of them with me to South Carolina.  

A couple of weeks ago Brad and I were going through some attic boxes and I came across the sand.  He thought I was nuts for carrying sand with me 800 miles, but I'm glad that I did.  I'm not sure which beaches were effected by the storm, but I'm glad that I have a little piece of them with me, just in case I can never walk on them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...