Background

Monday, July 25, 2011

Food is good

Brad's been a little whiny lately about how we eat the same old stuff all the time.  I don't blame him, he's right.  We have a lot of "usuals" that we eat every week.  When we buy this we always make that with it, know what I mean? I just can't find the time to get creative with dinner.  We joined E-Mealz a while back but it ended up being a little out of our budget.  It was great for the time that we did it, we loved the recipes and we loved the variety and using all the ingredients we purchased, but we weren't used to spending that much on groceries.  Yeah, it isn't a whole lot, but our "usuals" consist of like 2 ingredients, not 10, or even 5.  Anyway, I've been organizing my recipes and I came across a yummy looking recipe for meatloaf.  I'm the type of person who needs gravy on their meatloaf.  Brad would suggest meatloaf and I'd say, "we don't have gravy" and that was the end of that.  So this recipe was meatloaf and something with honey mustard, I believe it came from an Everyday Food magazine.  Oh yes, here it is.  They were actually mini meatloaves which were fantastic for two reasons: 1. they cooked in 20 minutes! 2. they are already in their appropriate portion size.  Brad and I are VERY guilty of biting off way more than we should chew.  So this was great because we could only have one.  Well, we could have more than one, obviously, but I think you get what I'm saying.  I didn't have the panko breadcrumbs but the regular seasoned breadcrumbs worked just fine.  I didn't make the roasted potatoes because I didn't have any.  We had stuffing (I can and will happily eat stuffing with absolutely anything, I think it's my favorite food on earth) and green beans.  It was really good.

So today after my long day to and from Columbia, I hit the grocery store and loaded up on vegetables and some meat so I can try to bring variety to our dinner table.  By the way, Brad's eyes lit up like the Fourth of July when he realized we were having meatloaf, because that isn't one of the "usuals".  

Tonight for dinner it was mahi mahi tacos.  I have had mahi mahi tacos before so I kind of knew where I was going with this, but I had to wing it at the grocery store because my BlackBerry wouldn't get reception so I couldn't Google a recipe.  I bought stuff I thought would make a good Asian slaw, and a good corn salad/salsa.  My concoctions turned out pretty darn good.  Of course I can never recreate them exactly because I don't have recipes for them, but there are enough recipes out there for each that I'm sure I could figure it out.

What on the menu for tomorrow? Stuffed cabbage.  I peeled some of the larger leaves off the outside of the head of cabbage (that I used for the Asian slaw) so I could make some stuffed cabbage! Now I just hope I have everything I need to fix that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...